Tuesday, August 9, 2011

"Good Things Come to Those Who Bait"? Right...and Pigs Fly

Anyone who knows me knows that I love the outdoors.  I love hiking and camping, and I especially love doing these activities in places near lakes/rivers because I also love fishing.  Like, a lot.  Fishing is a great activity to accompany my Nothing Box, which is my favorite box. :)

I've always been the kind of person to use more lures or flies than bait when fishing.  Using bait in my mind is just sitting here and waiting for the time to pass until the fish decides it is hungry.  If you use a spinner lure or a fly, you are tempting him with something he feel like he need to attack.  There is a lot more thrill to it.  Bait fishing in my eyes is the lazy way.  Oh...how I ate my own words.

I went fishing last week with a buddy of mine, Thomas by name.  It was super early on a Friday morning and we had been a few times before but with minimal success.  Patience was wearing thin, so that trip I decided to succumb to the idea of bait fishing.  I don't think it was meant to be my day.  We went to Porcupine Reservoir. We tried fishing off the bottom with worms tipped with a marshmallow so it floated.  We were told that it was a good method.

I don't know what we were doing wrong, but 2 hours, 5 worms, 3 lost hooks, and 0 fish later (this was just me, by the way), frustrations had maxed out.  We decided to change location and went to this small dam located up Blacksmith Fork Canyon.  For another 30 minutes at this new place we tried worms floating them from the top this time instead of the bottom.  Still, our luck did not change.

Finally, in frustration, I switched my line to have a good ol' Silver Jake's Spin-a-lure.  Mind you, we had been fishing for 2 and 1/2 hours with no luck, using bait.  4th cast, I catch an 11 inch Brown trout.  No joke.  Over the next 20 min, I catch 4 more.  My buddy Thomas traded to one as well, and caught one on his first cast.  "Good Things Come to Those Who Bait" my eye.  I'm stickin' to my method of jigs and lures.  ♫ Come on and get on my hook, fishy. Come on and get on my hook, fish fish! ♪

No comments:

Post a Comment